In the past, people used to go to the doctor for a check-up only if they felt sick. Nowadays, it is advised to have a regular routine check-up to keep our bodies healthy and prevent any possible sickness that may occur to us.
Because of the technology that we have today, there are tests that can determine possible sickness that may come with what the results may uncover. That is why most people today always ask their doctors for advice on how to keep their body healthy.
Doctors would always tell their patients to have a regular check-up in order for them to stay on top of their health. They always highlight the importance of prevention in order for the lessening of patients needing treatment or even surgery.
Here are the benefits of having a regular check-up:
- Reduce the risk of getting sick
- Detect potentially life-threatening health conditions or diseases early
- Increase chances for treatment and cure
- Limit risk of complications by closely monitoring existing conditions
- Increase lifespan and improve health
- Reduce healthcare costs overtime by avoiding costly medical services
- Form a good partnership with the doctor so treatment can be more efficient
- Get updated on new medical information or technologies that are available
Below are the things that need to be checked regularly for our health:
- Routine Physical Exam - Doctors will ask you about your health and lifestyle. They will listen to your heart and lungs and probably get you weight and height and vital signs.
- Height and Weight - Doctors need these to measure your Body Mass Index (BMI) to protect you from things like heart disease, diabetes, and some form of cancer.
- Blood Pressure - This is needed to determine if your arteries are ok. If the pressure is too high, there is also a higher chance you will have a heart disease or stroke.
- Cholesterol - This is the type of fat in our blood. High cholesterol levels in our blood are also a reason for stroke and heart disease.
- Colorectal Cancer Screening - This test looks for cancer in the colon or rectum.
- Blood Sugar Test - this test is needed in order to determine if you have diabetes or pre-diabetes. This measures the sugar level in our blood.
- Skin Check - our skin needs to be checked for us to prevent skin cancer.
- Bone Density - As we get older, our bones become thinner and weaker. This test helps prevent osteoporosis or the weakening of our bones. This test is more advised for older folks aged 65 and above for women and 70 and above for men.
- Mammogram - This test mostly applies to women. They take an X-ray test of your breast to look for changes.
- Cervical Cancer Screening - This test is also for women to look for changes in your cervix that could become cancer.
- Prostate Exam - This test is for men to check their prostate gland for signs of cancer.
- Dental Checkup - We need to see our dentist regularly to prevent cavities, gum disease and other problems to occur in our mouth.
- Blood tests - this test shows doctors how the different organs in our body are working. Any irregularities with the results of different blood tests can determine what our organs are experiencing. This also helps our doctors to determine what sickness we have in our bodies.
Having or checkups regularly will help us maintain our health or prevent critical sickness from happening to us. We must always remember that "Prevention is always better than cure".